Friday, September 13, 2013

Zum Schloss? Zum Schloss!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TdRbjlsp7uM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The above is an approximation of my interaction with the employee of Darmstadt's public transit networks whom I asked about the best way to get from the train station to the city's archives. I haven't yet adjusted to castles being things to get directions by. But I verified that, indeed, his directions consisted of: "Take streetcar line 3 to the castle. Then walk through the castle. Then you will be at the archives." ...To the castle!

At first I thought I'd done something wrong, as all I'd found was this picturesque market...

Then I turned around and saw the castle.

Despite its uses as a throughway for pedestrians and students of the nearby technical college, its inner courtyards seemed forgotten by time. I felt as though I ought to be handing my horse to a groomsman.



Having wandered through these for what seemed a strangely long time, I found the archives.
...Or so I thought. It turned out I'd only found the building in which the archives were located. It took me several times up and down the staircases, and two inquiries at doors which turned out to be the wrong ones, but I eventually did find where I needed to be, and lots of lovely charters (more than I expected!) While looking for the archive, though, I entertained myself by pretending that a scene from a Litvak or Selznick film was just about to commence...

2 comments:

  1. following breadcrumb trail from DTO's blog to here... and reallllly enjoying reading up on your adventure! love descriptions and pictures of archives, people, castles, wild paths.. 1 year abroad!! have a wonderful time! i'll camp myself here often reading :-).
    (ps- my sister and I once arrived in Darmstadt and by afternoon the news had already spread in town of two "asians" spotted at the train station and questions re. our whereabouts..).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thadieu! Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad you've enjoyed. :) That experience in Darmstadt sounds surreal, if not downright unnerving. Hope you enjoyed the city... I'm hoping to squeeze in some more sight-seeing on future visits.

      Delete