Monday, August 26, 2013

Los geht's!

Greetings, all! As I prepare to head to Germany for a year on a Fulbright and in the archives, I thought I'd set up this platform for sharing updates and photos. This is mainly intended for friends and family left behind, but I'll also be including information that might be helpful to other graduate students adjusting to living and researching abroad. I'll be in the cathedral city of Mainz, enjoying the architecture of a town which had its boom days in the Middle Ages, and boasts two archives in addition to its well-provisioned university library. Thrilling future topics may include:

Can I really live for a year out of one suitcase and a hiking backpack? How many cute German print dresses will I buy?

How will I squeeze an opera budget out of an, ahem, modest stipend? (It will happen.)

How many hilarious linguistic misunderstandings may arise in the course of sharing an apartment?

Are German archivists as grumpy as they are reputed to be?

Does the choir I hope to join have a Stammtisch?

All this and more to come... if any of you have Strong Feelings about things you'd like me to include, just say the word! Auf Wiedersehen, USA!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! so excited for a blog of your travels! Safe travels and I'm already looking forward to your next posting.

    ReplyDelete